Saturday, April 1, 2017

Teaching Reading in Small Groups

As a Reading Teacher,  It is my job to ensure students are taught the strategies and skills necessary to decode and understand text that they read independently.

   Using my data,  I group students in different ways:
            1.  Reading level
            2.  Strategy
            3   Skill

How do I teach  use Reading Level?

  I usually pull my lowest group five days a week,  my bubble group three times a week and usually I sat my high readers up into book clubs.  I pull  My on level or above readers at the beginning of the week and set up expectations for book clubs, they choose books, we create a calendar of meetings and assignments that they will do with their books and due dates.  They usually meet with me once a week, and I create quick writes to monitor discussion groups. When I pull my bubble groups according to their Reading Level,  I also utilize the Reading bands which provide me with skills and strategies students should be able to apply to the text.  I use QAR to help students understand where the answers to questions about their text come from.  I create questions that reflect the four types of questions, and model how to sort them based on criteria and then we answer them.






I create a response template like the one below as an anchor chart and a student response sheet.



My low group is usually my students who are struggling with using MSV  accurately.  So we work on Word Work.  I use  ABC charts, Blend charts, Magnet letters, poems and GR books that lend themselves to the word work lesson that is listed in the Fountas and Pinell''s  Reading Continuum.



Another thing that I work on during guided reading time is monitoring comprehension.  I take the book I will use and read it ahead of time and  prepare questions about the topic of book.  I sometimes use the Three types of questions formats, or focus in on skills.   I usually place them on sticky notes in the book that I am using to model.  However, sometimes I type the questions on sticky notes , run them through the printer, and place them in the students books ahead of time on the pages the questions are referring.  The students read independently and answer the questions when they read the page where they are attached.  After all students have finished the text, we discuss the book and questions.

 As students are reading, you as a teacher should be taking quick running records. Try to listen to one or two  students   a day.  The student read a short section of the text orally as you take anecdotal notes.  These notes will help you to plan a teaching point at the end of the lesson.  I try to listen to all students in the group during a week.  It may or may not be on the same book.  You also want to do a Formal Reading Record at some point to make sure students are applying what has been taught or are moving toward goals you have set for them.


Do I write lesson plans ahead of time? 

 Yes, but remember the best laid plans change at a whim.  So, according  to how the lesson goes daily dictates what the next lesson will look like.  Remember that you should be using a different book everyday, but again remember the best laid plans change.  Sometimes I find myself using a book 2 or 3 days.  I use familiar text to introduce and reinforce whole group teaching and also NF books take a moment to get through.


Things to Remember when forming Guided Reading groups?

Group kids by Reading level
Choose books that interest kids
Read the book ahead of time and write questions  ahead of time
Gather materials ahead of time so you want waste time
Do a book introduction that would get students engaged and wanting to read text
Do a picture or book walk and discuss photos or features you notice in the book
Make sure to do quick Running Records as kids are reading independently one or two at the most


Share, follow  and comment below 




Check out my Business Page:
www.facebook.com\Rhonda Educates

My pinterest page
www.pinterest.com\Educ8te

My instagram page
www.Instagram.com\Mrseduc8te




2 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of QAR at any grade level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. So do I. Thanks for sharing. I love creating questions to fit the various categories.

    ReplyDelete