Tuesday, April 4, 2017

If I knew what I know now

Are you realizing that college didn't truly prepare you for the classroom?  Don't know where to start,


I am here to tell you,  I wanted to go call all of my college professors after my first month of teaching and  say some choice words to say the least.  I was so overwhelmed and above my head.  So, before I was ready to do my small group teaching, there was some other things I had to have in place first.


My 10 must haves in order to have a productive classroom:  (My first 3 weeks)

1.  Don't just give a list of rules, model those rules and have the students practice those rules.
2.  Have routine and procedures for  everything.  I mean everything and practice these as well.
3.  Have systems in place for materials:  Teacher and students
4.  Invest in a planner to track meetings, upcoming events, etc.
5.  Ask for a Mentor or coach you can talk to, plan with, get feed back from and problem solve.
6.  Develop a non punitive Discipline plan and be consistent enforcing it.
7.  Create partnerships that are flexible.
8.  Revisit  number 1 and 2  before breaks, after breaks, and especially towards the end of the year.
9.  Invest in a journal where you and reflect on your day, what worked, what didn't work, what changes you
     need to make academically, personally and in regards to the students.
10. Invest in organization tools:  Carts, baskets, etc.





SO YOUR A TEACHER, NOW WHAT?

What other insights do I have you ask?

Realize that you will make mistakes in front of the kids, use it as a teaching point.
Try to attend all professional growth classes that are related to your content area.
Make sure to read and study your lessons before time to teach them.
Study and know your districts Teks/Standards.
If you don't know ask somebody.
Make list, lots of list to keep you on target.
Keep open communication with your parents.

Here is a page from my 365 planner that I use daily.  What does your planner look like






All of these things are like second nature now, but when I first started I was clueless.  Every Summer  now, I write down every think I want to do, I sketch out my room arrangements, I revisit my rules and procedures list I save in my G drive.  I reflect on what worked and didn't work.  I study my Teks, attend professional growth class do book studies.  But the one thing I make sure I do, is take time for myself.  I rest, rejuvenate and take a break from it all.  I look at each year as my first year and try to make it the best that it can be. 




A teachers job is never done:  If you would like more tips and ideas go to my  Facebook page,  I also  post book suggestions for the classroom,, for personal growth.   If the link doesn't work search for Rhonda Educates and follow me.

http://facebook.com\Rhonda Educates



No comments:

Post a Comment