Sunday, April 23, 2017

So why am I a teacher?


My teaching journey  was one that started at the age of problem 9 or 10  when I used to play school with my dolls.  I remember wanting an easel for Christmas and on Saturday mornings,  I would line my dolls up on the bed and teach them how to add and subtract.  I became empowered with the idea of standing in front of a room of people and knowing I was in control.

Little did I know how wrong I was back then.  This journey had lots of twist, turn, bumps and stops along the way.




However, my passion for teaching grew stronger as I entered elementary school.  It was two teachers that made me want to be a teacher even more  They were enthusiastic, nurturing and  engaging.  They taught with grace and poise.  It was effortless,  I remember being chosen as the teachers assistant and being able to check papers, tutor classmates and even lead small group discussions.  I owe my early inclination to teach to Mrs. Hawkins and Mrs. Jones, may they rest in peace.  I loved these ladies. They were firm but fun.  They made me want to be better and do better.

I than got to middle school, oh my word it sucked all the love out of school for me.  It was the most exhausting 3 years ever.  My passion began to die until I met Mr. B.  He was sarcastic, and funny at the same time.  He held no punches.  He called it like it was and commanded attention from the students.  He wouldn't let you be a passive learner in his class.  He reaffirmed my yearning to teach.  I wanted to give that feeling to kids.  I wanted to make a difference.  I wanted to be that teacher everyone thought was cool, or came back to see.  Yet, most of all I wanted to be that teacher that my students felt they learned the most from and it was because of me they were on the paths they were on.

I then entered high school and met Mr. Garvin,  he was the most unusual man ever.  He would dress up and stand on top of desk and quote Shakespeare.  I thought he was crazy, but somehow I ended up with Mr. Crazy for my 3 years of high school.  He opened up my heart to books,, he exposed me to text I would have never ever thought of picking up.  So my journey and love for reading began.   I knew what I wanted to do when I grew up.  I wanted to be the best reading teacher ever.


It wasn't until I got to college did I realize the amount of work that was required to become a teacher I took courses from teachers that furthered nurtured my love of reading and my calling to teach.  I would like to thank  Dr. Linda Dorn and Dr. Marion Dokes.  These two professors taught me the pedagogy of teaching and how to utilize ;my professional learning  with my personality to become that teacher I wanted to become.


I remember that first year of teaching,  I wanted to quit the first week!!  I know now coming in in the middle of a school year is not fun or the best way to build relationships or classroom environment.  I was this classes fifth teacher,  they were a handful.  I remembering walking out or at least trying to walk out, but was blocked by one of the teachers who set on my interview committee.  She told me she knew after my first sentence I was the right teacher for this class.   I was told to find my voice and take control  I needed to reach the ring leader, my principal  told me.  I sat there with tears in my eyes thinking about all I went through to get to this point and came to the conclusion that I  was put here in this particular position for a reason.


I took a moment to get myself together. At that moment,  I became a classroom teacher.






The students were taken to lunch and I quickly transformed my room into a boot camp.  Oh, did I forget to tell  you that in between my graduate and undergraduate career.  I was also in the military and  duties called.  All I can tell you is by the end of the day, the ring leader had lost his followers. They  realized that I was here to stay and I was in control not him.  It took him 3 days to figure that out and a blunt conference with the single dad that was raising with some stereotypical ideas of men and women's rolls in society.   I made it through my first year,  but I realized then that those college courses didn't prepare me for reality.

If you can get pass the first 3 years, this is your job, If you make it pass five years this is your calling. At least that is my philosophy.  My first three years,  I was trying to find my voice, combine the pedagogy with real time in the classroom.  I only hoped my students learned something,  because I was learning as I entered the class daily for 3 years.  I realized just how many other responsibilities that teachers have besides teaching.  I  realized that my no one understood, but a teacher.




WHY AM I WRITING THIS YOU ASK?

As I look back 17 years later,  I  wonder how I made it through.  I finally realized that each school year will bring its challenges.  I learned that I couldn't compare one school year to the next or the students.  I learned that things are changing yearly and I had to change and grow with them.  I began to study, to read, to practice and mimic mentors,  I learned that although I am the teacher, I am the learner as well.  I had to learn my students strengths and weakness.  I learned to reflect on my own teaching daily.  I had to be willing to listen and take advice and support.  I had to change my mindset and my teaching style every year.  I learned that this is the  hardest job ever besides motherhood.   I learned that  people who aren't teachers don't have a clue what the job truly requires.  It requires dedications, sacrifice and continual professional growth to prepare students to live in the society and ever changing aspects of society.  I realize this 3 years in and was scared out of my wits to acknowledge that I was responsible for educating students to be able to go out in the real world.


I learned that all students don't learn the same , and one size doesn't fit all, I learned just how scare it is to know that I am the one who has been equipped to prepare our future doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc,  I learn I am not only a teacher I am a nurse, a counselor, a sister, a friend, and sometimes a mom.
I have often contemplating quitting and then the unimaginable happens.   So why do I teach? Here's why:  A former students showed up one day and told me he got into college and it was because of me, that if I hadn't believed in him and stayed on top of him to get it together he would have never thought college would be a possibility.  Another student left a letter n my mailbox at work and tells me how much I meant to her, how much I taught them, inspired them and made them want to do better.  I have former students come visit me and tell me I was their favorite teacher, I have students that send constant reminders of how much they loved my class  and me.  It's the moment like these that makes the rough days obsolete.  When someone tells you you made a difference,  it reaffirms why you started teaching in the first place.  This picture sums it up.  I am poised to take on the next
school year.



I love being a teacher,  I can't wait for each year to start, by the middle I am ready for it to end, then
in the Summer I am preparing  for the beginning.  So before you say I can do your job, remember looks can be deceiving.  Reality is far more complicated. So who is my favorite super hero,  a teacher.  She/he wears many capes and takes too many leaps, saves and adventures to count.




7 comments:

  1. Beautiful... I have never seen the school life from the eyes of a Teacher, have always expressed from a student's point of view... Loved it! Good Luck! looking forward for more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, you don't realize how much goes into teaching until reading something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it takes a lot. It drives educators crazy when people tell us we have an easy job. I beg to differ. thanks for commenting

      Delete
    2. Yes, it takes a lot. It drives educators crazy when people tell us we have an easy job. I beg to differ. thanks for commenting

      Delete
  3. This is such a fabulous post!! As a teacher I agree 100% with everything that you said, and I think more people need to see this article. It's very clear that you are dedicated and that you are definitely in the right profession! Your students are so lucky to have you =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my gosh, thank you Stephanie, feel free to share and check out previous post

    ReplyDelete