Sunday, March 19, 2017

Small group instruction

What do I do during small group instruction?  How do I pick what I will focus on in small groups?


Small group instruction is important  if you want to truly move students.  The first thing I do is pull Data.  At the beginning of the year,  this data comes from previous reading levels and STAAR results from Reading.  I look at it and sort kids by strands they were weak in or failed.  These students are the first groups I pull at the beginning of the year to fill in gaps.  These groups last the first three weeks of school, while I establish routines and procedures for our community of learners for the year.  This allows me to pre assess, confer and get to know students and set goals.  I use their reading levels to establish a Reading life at the beginning of the year.  Students are reading the first three weeks and I am observing and taking anecdotal notes.  These notes become part of my data collection.  I group kids accordingly.  We soon will administer Reading assessments  for the beginning of the year  for the current grade year. 


Once the Running records are done,  using Fountas and Pinell Running records.  I take them and re group them by Reading levels first, then by MSV error, strategy or comprehension error. I also may have a group for word work occasionally when there is a needed.  Depending on  which one you group by  then determine the resources and number of people in the group.  Another tool I use is our on line MAP testing results.  Our kids take this online assessment 3 times a year in Reading, Science, and Math.  The results break down students by category, strands and numerical ranking.  It can be overwhelming.  However, provides valuable information for small group teaching.  


Another tool that I use is a computerized program called I station.  Students are given periodic 
benchmarks, and then assigned lessons based on there scores.  I have access to data that places the students in tiers and shows areas of concern. I love this program because it also provides access to resources you can use to teach small groups according to the reports you print.


So as you see I just gave you lots of resources I have at my disposal.  What Data do you have at your disposal?  


Here are examples of each of the things I  mentioned above.

Fountas and Pinnell's Level R NF sample:




Are you not sure how to do a Running Record and how to code them?  I learned using Marie Clay's work.  It is an awesome tool.  She also has one for Concepts of print for primary grades.



Here is a sample of the Map Report that I am able to print off after each assessment.



If I want to convene small groups for word work or fluency I use Poems and Word Matters.  As well as  magnetic letters, dry erase boards, markers, ABC and Blend charts, highlighters, sticky notes, paper to make journals, paper, pencils, buckets of books, personal word walls,






If I am doing strategy or skills  groups I use a lot of different book marks to model and practice.




I talked about these in previous post as well go check them out  My next post will walk you through a lesson that i have done with one of my reading groups.

2 comments:

  1. First let me commend you for being a teacher and helping to shape the lives of generations to come. I never knew so much strategy went into teaching. Thanks for enlightening me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. A lot of people are shocked. I had to show and explain to my own family that we don't get Summers off. We work year round.

    ReplyDelete